Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Blog 2


                  As mentioned in my first blog for The Help, Parenting skills play a big role in this book. In my earlier blog I mentioned Mrs. Leefolt and her daughter Mae. As I read further in the book I realized that Mrs. Skeeter's mother demonstrates the same parenting qualities as Mrs. Leefolt. Mrs. Skeeter's mother is always trying to run her life; Her mother is trying to make Mrs. Skeeter do things that aren't in her interest. When they bring up Mrs. Skeeter’s diploma on page 64, her mother just calls it "a pretty piece of paper". Her mother wants her to be married, work at a bank and dress better just to better her own reputation. 

http://media.metropulse.com/media/img/photos/2011/08/17/2133_movies_The-Help_t607.jpg 
                 
                  I feel bad for Mrs. Skeeter, she is always trying to avoid her mother and change subjects when talking to her because she can't face her own mother; not even to tell her that she wants to be a writer. She also feels so insecure around her mother. Mrs. Skeeter says on page 65 "My own mother is looking at me as if I completely baffle her mind with my looks, my height, my hair. To say frizzy is an understatement." I don't feel like any parent should make their child feel like that. Mrs. Skeeter is always feeling targeted by her mother. On page 74 she said " I used to dash by, feeling like a dartboard, a big red bull's-eye that mother pinged darts at" "Eugenia, you know there is no chewing gum in this house" "Eugenia, go put alcohol on that blemish." "Eugenia, march upstairs and brush your hair down, what if we have an unexpected visitor?" I learned that socks are stealthier transportation than shoes. I learned to use the back door. I learned to wear hats, cover my face with my hands when I passed by. But mostly, I learned to just stay in the kitchen." That quote sums up how Mrs. Skeeter feels around her mother. I think being a good parent involves loving your child no matter what, giving them good attention and being supportive.

                   Mrs. Skeeter's mother doesn't have those parenting qualities. Mrs. Skeeter's mother is always judging her, finding things to say to bring her down or just saying things that make her feel terrible about herself. On the website "Family share" it discusses the difference between beneficial judgment and overbearing correction. http://familyshare.com/keeping-kids-open-minded-how-to-teach-children-to-be-less-judgmental. I think Mrs. Skeeter's mother is defiantly portraying overbearing correction after reading how Mrs. Skeeter feels when she is around her.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great blog! I love how you gave links to different websites that relate to your topic of what kind of qualities make good parents. Also I enjoyed reading it because instead of just talking right out of the book you gave your own input so we could see what you thought about the whole topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quotes you used to describe how Skeeter feels about her mother, I think, were really great examples and really proved your point; that Skeeter is afraid of her mother. Constantly faulting her every look move. A good relationship with your child means accepting them and loving them for who they are and Skeeter's mother does the opposite and I think you did a great job showing that with the quotes. I like that you blogged about Skeeter's mother's parenting skills because I myself hadn't really thought a lot about that relationship in the book, but your blog really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete